News and Events

CSCWB awards Best Christmas Tree Parol, Belen in Kamundagan Festival
A parol purely crafted out of old newspapers, a Christmas tree made from sacks, dried coconut flower and gihoy (midribs) and accentuated with plastic soda bottles caps, and a Belen fashioned out of dayami (rice straws), were declared First Prize Winners in the FIRST PRIZE WINNERS in CSCWB Kamundagan Festival 2011 - Belen of Beta Kappa Phi, Christmas tree of Department of Engineering and Parol of College of Arts and Sciences. (GSR)first-ever Kamundagan Festival conducted by Catanduanes State Colleges Without Borders (CSCWB), a Social Networking Site of CSC alumni and other stakeholders.

The contest was co-sponsored and facilitated by the CSC Federated College Student Council (FCSC) headed by its President Glenda Rima on December 16, 2011 at the CSC Main campus. A total of P30,ooo cash prize was provided by CSCWB. It was generated from the donations of its members who are all alumni of CSC and working elsewhere around the globe.

Eight Student Body Organizations from five CSC colleges and three departments, including four recognized fraternities and sororities at CSC participated in the contest. The CSC-FCSC also gave additional P500 for the consolation prize, other administrative costs and work force requirement.

The complete list of winners and their cash prizes are: Parol Making Contest: – First, College of Arts and Sciences SBO (P3,000); Second Place – College of Health Sciences (P2,000); Third Place – College of Technology-Department of Industrial Technology (P1,000); Consolation Prizes – College of Technology-Department of Engineering (P500); College of Business and Accountancy (P500).

Christmas Tree Making Contest: First Place – Department of Engineering SBO (P5,000), Second Place – College of Health Sciences (P3,000) and College of Arts and Sciences (P2,000); Consolation Prizes – College of Technology-Department of Technology (P1,000); College of Business and Accountancy (P1,000), College of Technology-Department of Information and Communication Technology (P500)

Belen Making Contest: First Place – Beta Kappa Phi (P5,000); Second Place – Alpha Kappa Rho (P3,000) Third Place – Tau Gamma Phi/Sigma (P2,000), and Fourth Place – Alpha Phi Omega (P1,000)

The CHS Christmas Tree is made of banig (caragumoy mat) and decorated with plastic pharmaceutical bottles and further accentuated with gold painted dried mana£o (wild orchid) leaves. The Department of Information and Communication Technology’s Christmas tree is composed of compact discs symmetrically attached to a net.

Meanwhile, the Department of Industrial Technology’s entry is composed of artistically arranged paper plates splashed with watercolor. It was further embellished with soda bottle caps entwined with little buntings made from plastic labels of softdrinks.

The College of Business and Accountancy’s creation is made of green and white softdrink straws. For the College of Arts and Sciences, it was made of sack and decorated with anahaw leaves and plastic softdrink bottle caps.

In the Parol Making, the College of Health Science’s entry was made of gold painted mana£o (wild orchid) leaves and bedecked with flowers made of plastic softdrink bottle. It also has a miniature Belen on the right side.

The Department of Engineering’s entry is made of horizontally woven gihoy (coconut leaves midrib). It was highlighted further by a miniature bridge bearing “1-2-3” figures which represents the latest feat of the Department of Engineering in the November 2011 Licensure Examination.

The College of Business and Accountancy’s entry is made of red, yellow and green cloth and accentuated with sack straws and cartoon trimmings. The parol entry of Department of Industrial Technology on the other hand is made of ingeniously arranged C2 Ice Tea Red bottles.

The guidelines prepared by the CSC-FCSC required that the Belen must use indigenous and recyclable materials. It must also have representations of infant Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Three Kings, at least two shepherds and at least a lamb. The manger must be 2 meters in width and 1 and ½ meter in height. It must also observe minimal production expenses. The works were rated according to creativity (20%), durability of materials (20%), cost-effectiveness (20%) and overall appearance (40%).

In the parol making, the entries were also rated according to creativity (20%), durability of materials (20%), cost-effectiveness (20%) and overall appearance (40%). It also required the use of indigenous materials, minimal production expense, and the minimum of 4 feet and maximum of five feet diameter.

The same evaluation criteria were used in rating the Christmas tree, aside from the size requirement of minimum of 2 meters and maximum of 2 ½ meters height.

Judges were Architect Jose Ong Jr, CSC Department of Technology instructor and member of the CSC Planning Committee, Mrs. Josephine V. Torrente, CSC Department of Social Sciences instructor on Humanities and Psychology, and Mr. Joerandy Tablizo, a CSC BSEd cumlaude graduate, former senior member of CSC Hablon Dawani and current CSC Laboratory Schools instructor.

The event, with the theme Kamundagan 2011: Epiphany, Creativity, Solidarity, was CSCWB’s gesture of recognition to the new CSC President and its support to Catanduanes State Colleges. It also aimed to serve as a springboard for future cooperation between the CSC management and the alumni members of CSC Without Borders. The use of indigenous and recyclable materials was also in support of the CSCWB to the environment program and advocacies of CSC.

CSCWB maintains a Facebook account (https://www.facebook.com/groups/cscwithoutborders/) that serves as the online convergence point of all CSC alumni, including employees and current students. (GSRubio/PR and Information Services)